Department of Medical Ethics, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,Shiraz, Iran
Introduction: Occupational burnout is a prevalent syndromeamong medical students as well as other health professionals. Itmay be an important factor contributing to professional conducts.The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of burnoutamong medical students of Shiraz University of Medical Sciencesat clinical level and its relationship with professionalism.Methods: In this cross-sectional study, all medical clinicalstudents who had spent a minimum of six months of the firstyear of clinical level and who were in their final year, in 2015-16were examined (using the census method). Data were gatheredusing demographics, educational background, and the dimensionsof professionalism questionnaires and Maslach Job BurnoutInventory. Data analysis was performed using descriptivestatistics, ANOVA and Pearson correlation test by SPSS, version14. A p-value of <0.05 was considered statistically significant.Results: The total mean score of burnout was 61.37±20.44(moderate). In this study, 54.3% of the students had low, 35.2%moderate and 10.4% high job burnout. There was a negativecorrelation between job burnout and professional ethics withPearson correlation test (p<0.000, r=0.23). There was nosignificant relationship between the increase in academic yearsand burnout.Conclusion: Regarding the high prevalence of burnout and itsadverse effects among medical students, developing a workplaceassistance program and adequate facilities to help them is necessary.Also, due to the negative correlation between professionalismand burnout, continuous training of professional ethics should betaken into consideration by educational authorities.Keywords: Burnout, Professional ethics, Medical students
- Meslach C, Jackson S.The Measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Occupational Behavior.1981; 2:99-113.
- Freudenberger J.Staff burnout. Journal of social Issues.1974; 30 (1):159- 165.
- Rezaee R, Ebrahimi S. Clinical Learning Environment at Shiraz Medical School. Acta Medica Iranica. 2013; 51(1):62â7.
- Mehdi Zadeh M., Vafaei Najjar A. Taghipour A. Esmaeili H. , Mehdizadeh SM , Ebrahimipour H. Occupational burnout and factors affecting the work environment among family physicians of Khorasan Razavi. Quarterly Journal of Occupational Medicine. 2013; 5 (4): 42-51.
- Nedrow A, Steckler N, Hardman J.Physician Resilience and Burnout: Can You Make the Switch? Family practice and management.2013 Feb: 25-30.
- Mechteld M, Visser E, Smets J, Hanneke M. Stress, satisfaction and burnout among Dutch medical specialists.CMAJ.FEB.4, 2003; 168 (3) :271-5
- Dewa C, Loong D, Bonato S, Thanh N, Jacobs P. How Does Burnout Affect Physician Productivity? A Systematic Literature Review. BMC Health Services Research. 2014 Jul: 14(325).
- Atef L., Rooh Alamin, M., Noori, A., Rumi, H. Burnout and job satisfaction of General Physicians and Internal Medicine Specialists in Isfahan. Knowledge and Research in Psychology. 2006; 8(29): 129-151
- Shojaee A A, Abolhassani Niyaraki F. Medical ethics and disasters. ijme. 2011; 4 (6) :27-38
- Dyrbye L. Massie S, Eacker A, Harper W, Power D, Durning. Relationship between burnout and professional conduct and attitude among US medical student. JAMA. 2010 ;304(11); 1173-1180.
- Brazeau C, Schroeder R, Rovi S, and Boyd L. Relationships between Medical Student Burnout, Empathy., and Professionalism Climate. Academic Medicine.2010 October; 85(10):533-536.
- Filyan, A. ,The study of burnout and its relationship with coping methods employed by nurses in general educational hospitals in Tehran. Tarbiat Modares University .1391: (Master's Thesis)
- Badri, G. Hashemian, K. Psychological syndrome of teachers' vocational burnout and coping mechanisms. Tarbiat Modares University ,1995:(Master's Thesis) .
- Saatchi, M. , 2010, Intra organizational factors associated with burnout in workers of textile factories in Tehran, Second national congress of biennial Iranian industrial and organizational psychology, Isfahan, Isfahan Islamic Azad University, Khorasgan, https://www.civilica.com/ Paper-IOPC02-IOPC02_030.html
- McCray L, Cronholm P, Bogner H, Gallo J, Neill R. Resident Physician Burnout: Is There Hope? .Residency Education.2008;40(9):626-632.
- Dyrbye L, West C, Satele D, Boone S, Tan L, Sloan J. Burnout Among U.S. Medical Students, Residents, and Early Career Physicians Relative to the General U.S. Population. Academic Medicine. 2014 March; 89(3):443-451.
- Cecil J, McHale C, Hart J, Laidlaw A. Behavior and burnout in medical students. Medical Educational Online.2014 August; 19(25209): 1087-2981.
- Akkasheh G, Sepehrmanesh Z, Ahmadvand A. Prevalence of Burnout in Senior Medical Students of Kashan University of Medical Sciences in 2008. Qom Univ Med Sci J . 2010; 4 (3) :37-41.
- Aramesh K, Mohebbi M, Jessri M, Sanagou M. Measuring professionalism in residency training programs in Iran. Med Teach. 2009; 31(8):e356-61.
- Toubaei S, Sahraeian A. Burnout and job satisfaction of nurses working in internal, surgery, psychiatry burn and burn wards. Horizon Med Sci . 2007; 12 (4) :40-45.
- Liselotte N, Dyrbye L, Thomas M, Huntington J, Lawson K, Novotny p. Personal Life Events and Medical Student Burnout: A Multicenter Study. Academic Medicine. 2006 April; 81(4):374-384.
- Hojat M, Vergare M, Isenberg G, Cohen M, Spandorfer J. Underlying construct of empathy, optimism and burnout in medical students. International Journal of medical education.2015 Jan; 6:12-16.
- Rafii F. Relationship between the usage of coping strategies and burnout as well as comparison of these variables among staff and practical nurses employed in burn and reconstructive hospitals of Tehran (1993). IJN. 1996; 0 (14 and 15) :5-14.
- Hajloo N, Sobhi Gharamaleki N, Rahbar Taramsari M, Haghighatgoo M. Survey the Relationship between Perfectionism and Job Burnout in Nurses. jour guilan uni med sci. 2011; 20 (77) :23-30