Document Type: Commentary
Department of Anatomy, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry, India
Narcissism, being the critical part of the toxic leadership paradigm,has its own impact in the education sphere. Contrastingly,leader’s narcissism cannot be simply underweighted because suchleaders often tend to be creative strategists who can take riskychallenges to suffice the self-ego and leave behind a legacy aswell. This commentary intends to portray the complex mosaic ofthe positive and negative consequences inbred in a narcissisticleader. The debate over whether these people provide a net gain orloss remains everlasting because it varies based on the organizationalclimate and also other contextual factors.
- Raskin R, Novacek J, Hogan R. Narcissism, SelfâEsteem, and Defensive SelfâEnhancement. Journal of Personality, 1991; 59: 19-38.
- OâBoyle EH, Forsyth DR, Banks GC, McDaniel MA. "A meta-analysis of the dark triad and work behaviour: A social exchange perspective", Journal of Applied Psychology, 2012; 97(3), 557â79.
- Duchon D, Burns M. Organizational narcissism. Organizational Dynamics 2008; 37(4): 354â364.
- Uhl-Bien M, Riggio RE, Lowe KB, Carsten MK. Followership theory: a review and research agenda. Leadersh Q 2014; 25 (1):83â104.
- Sedikides C, Campbell WK. Narcissistic Force Meets Systemic Resistance: The Energy Clash Model. Perspectives on Psychological Science 2017, 12(3) 400 â421
- Judge TA, Bono JE, Ilies R, Werner M. Personality and leadership: A qualitative and quantitative review. Journal of Applied Psychology, 2002; 87, 765â780.
- Allen TD, Johnson HM, Xu X, Biga A, Rodopman OB, Ottinot RC. Mentoring and protege narcissistic entitlement. Journal of Career Development, 2009; 35, 385â405.
- Kernberg OF. Narcissistic personality disorder in childhood. Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 1989; 12, 671â694.
- Hogan R, Kaiser RB. What we know about leadership. Rev Gen Psychol.2005; 9, 169â180.
- Nevicka B, De Hoogh AH, Van Vianen AE, Ten Velden FS. Uncertainty enhances the preference for narcissistic leaders. European Journal of Social Psychology, 2013; 43, 370â380.